Assistant, Great Lakes and Sustainability
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to:
Manager, Human Resources
John G. Shedd Aquarium
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Based on Shedd Aquarium’s commitment to the environment, electronic versions of resumes are preferred.
Status: Full-time regular
Department: Great Lakes and Sustainability
Works with the director to provide critical support and organization for the Great Lakes and Sustainability (GLS) department, which oversees Shedd’s environmental initiatives, including Great Lakes conservation, sustainable seafood and general sustainable practices. Drafts communications; tracks GLS activities and expenses; organizes program logistics and administration; advances departmental goals and ensures smooth day-to-day operations.
• Program Administration: Assist senior staff in developing and executing special departmental initiatives. Support expansion of Shedd’s Great Lakes programming. Support logistics for and organization of cross-departmental programs. Support internal and external partnerships; provide additional support as requested.
• Data Tracking and Analysis: Update and maintain the department’s activity database, expense tracker and contact list. Create and maintain a reporting system that tracks progress on GLS program goals, especially as they relate to funding obligations. Generate reports as requested. Lead effort to support and measure Shedd’s sustainability goals, as well as a corresponding dashboard that displays goal progress to-date. Spearhead periodic data calls, and analyze information for meaningful insights.
• Communications: Prepare key documents for the department, such as progress reports for the board of trustees, the annual sustainability report, fact sheets, signage, and other materials as assigned. Update and maintain the department’s webpages. Create compelling content for Shedd’s blog and social-media channels. Build expertise on Great Lakes issues, the seafood industry, general sustainable practices and other related topics. Scan, research, and share latest news on these topics.
• Meeting and Event Planning: Plan and execute meetings for both internal and external audiences. Ensure that experiences are productive and pleasurable for participants, and reflect Shedd’s conservation principles. Take and distribute thorough notes, and track progress on objectives. Support and represent Shedd at GLS events, such as beach cleanups, volunteer restoration efforts, media tours, sustainable seafood dinners, etc. Organize the department’s contribution to special Shedd events and celebrations, such as Earth Week, World Ocean’s Day, etc.
• Other duties: Perform other duties as required, including supervising the department’s interns and volunteers; participating on aquarium-wide teams, and other projects.
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in the areas of conservation, science, not-for-profit management, education, or a related field.
• At least two years of successful experience with mission-driven project delivery, meeting and event planning, and business communications, preferably in a not-for-profit setting.
• Demonstrated ability to handle large workload in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. Excellent written communication skills and a talent for planning and tracking data and activities. Awareness of current local, national and international conservation issues, with the ability to effectively and clearly communicate them to various audiences. Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
• Driven, highly organized self-starter. Appreciation for and strong attention to detail. Passionate about the environment. Poised, articulate professional with diplomacy, a sense of humor and a positive attitude. A lifelong learner.
• Must be able to work flexible hours including early mornings, nights and weekends as necessary, and walk/stand/sit for extended periods of time. Position requires consumption of seafood and shellfish. Must have valid driver’s license and willingness to travel offsite. Must be able to do moderate lifting to transport equipment and material to sites.
Wish I could apply for this. "Position requires consumption of seafood and shellfish" is one of the best requirements I've ever read in a job posting.